Palisades Interstate Park — New Jersey
Kearney House: A Tavern at the End of the Road
Listen at the stop, then read the transcript and follow the sources behind the story.
Listen
Transcript
The Kearney House has a plaque problem.
For years, people called it “Cornwallis Headquarters.”
The park now says plainly that Lord Cornwallis did not use this house as his headquarters.
That correction makes the real story better.
The oldest portion of the house dates to around 1761, when farmers from Closter improved a road down through the cliffs to a Hudson River landing.
The building was probably tied to the dock economy—supervising or serving a place where agricultural goods moved toward New York markets.
By the nineteenth century, Rachel Kearney and her family operated a tavern here.
The house became a social room for captains, crews, passengers, quarry workers, tradespeople and local residents.
News moved through taverns before phones and social media.
So did gossip, politics, job information and arguments.
Rachel Kearney is the person worth remembering.
Widowed in 1831, she raised a large blended family and remained a well-known figure along the landing for decades.
Her story anchors the riverfront in domestic life rather than famous generals.
Later, the Park Commission acquired the house.
It served as a police station and then as a historic site.
The New Jersey State Federation of Women's Clubs helped furnish and interpret it during the twentieth century.
That creates another layer of memory.
The same women's movement that helped preserve the Palisades also helped turn this ordinary river house into a public history site.
The Cornwallis legend tried to make the building important by attaching a famous man.
It does not need him.
A dock, a tavern keeper and the people who depended on the Hudson tell a much richer history of how this narrow shoreline actually worked.