Surveyor General’s Office: Before New Jersey Was Fully Public Land
Listen at the stop, then read the transcript and follow the sources behind the story.
Listen
Transcript
This tiny office opens a door into a form of New Jersey government that sounds almost feudal.
For centuries, land in East Jersey was tied to proprietary rights descending from colonial grants.
The Surveyor General's Office was built between 1852 and 1854.
It housed the Board of Proprietors of the Eastern Division of New Jersey and the Surveyor General.
These institutions dealt with surveys, titles and claims rooted in the colony's proprietary land system.
That work could affect who believed they owned what.
In a state growing rapidly through railroads, industry and cities, old colonial land frameworks remained legally relevant.
The building itself is modest—two rooms, brick construction, Greek Revival and Italianate details.
That scale is useful.
Land administration can determine enormous wealth without needing a monumental façade.
Records, maps and surveys quietly structure property markets.
In 1909 the office was moved a short distance to its present location.
It continued housing proprietary records until 1998.
So even this historic building is not sitting exactly where nineteenth-century users first entered it.
That should be part of the interpretation rather than hidden.
The larger story connects back to Perth Amboy's colonial importance.
The town was an administrative center for East Jersey long before New Jersey developed its modern state institutions.
The Proprietary House represented the governor.
City Hall represented local and provincial government.
This office represented the control and measurement of land.
For a modern visitor accustomed to county tax maps and digital property databases, the job sounds technical.
It was political.
To survey land is to turn landscape into boundaries.
Boundaries become titles.
Titles become power.
Perth Amboy's small office helped maintain that chain for nearly a century and a half.